9 juli 2011

Top 11 fantasy books

Allright, folks. Since this one was requested by the lovely Ms. Coggins I will be polite and write it in English. This is the list of the ten best fantasy books (and series of books) I've ever read. It will include childrens fantasy, urban fantasy and pure fantasy.
It was supposed to be a top 10, but... uhm... well. "I like to go one step beyond" like Nostalgia Critic use to say.

1. The Neverending Story  
by Michael Ende

When people ask me about my favourite book of all time, this is it. It is a book you can read at every age and always find something new and fascinating.
The only real problem I can see with it (besides the very bad films that has come out of it) is that it is not neverending. I really wish it was.

2. The Hobbit 
by J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes, Tolkien really must be on this list. I love The Hobbit most, because it was the beginning. When reading it at nine years of age it opened my eyes to a whole new world and lead me to read the whole Lord of the rings trilogy at the age of ten... and re read it many times since then.
I was so lost in them, so consumed by them. I wrote poems about elves and felt so out of place in my everyday life. This was were I truly should be, not at a school in a modern day building in a modern day world.


3. The Chronicles of Narnia - series
by C.S. Lewis

And this is where it all actually began. I was eight years old and I read them all. I still cannot see a big old wardrobe without longing to take a peek inside. You never know, right? It could be the right wardrobe. Right? It could be. Now I will have to take a pause in making this list and go have a quick look in my husbands wardrobe. It is rather modern, but you never know.

4. Harry Potter - series 
by J.K. Rowling

I began to read Harry Potter pretty late. When the hype got to me I was already a grown up since several years. I think that is one of the clues to why the Harry Potter books are so great, it made no difference that I did not read them as a child. They are not influented by childhood memories like so many other books on this list. I was about 21 and I still wanted to get my letter and go to Hogwarts. I still do.

5. The Belgariad - series
by David Eddings

Some books are always great to return to. I use to read the whole Belgariad at least once every second year. It has this feeling around it, that comfy feeling of a warm blanket and hot chocolate while it is snowing outside the window.
I will easily admit that it is not original, not even spectacular, but it has two things that most fantasy lack theese days - humour and characters that feels like you really, really know them. I think also the fact that it is not original is a strength. As a reader you don't have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out the world it is set in, because it already feels familiar and at the same time new enough to be interesting.

6. Lords and Ladies
by Terry Pratchett

There are a lot of Pratchett novels out there, I guess you've noticed. A. Lot. Most of them (at least in the Discworld series) are good, some of them are really good and some of them are even great. Most people has at least one favourite and this is mine. I've read this so many times I know many quotes from it by heart. Witches, goths, evil fairys and a pretty strange kingdom - who could ask for more?

7. The Dark is Rising - series
by Susan Cooper

I loved theese books, and it feels like a shame that not that many people know them theese days, at least in Sweden - other than us fantasy nerds. The Dark is Rising combinds old folklore with legend and create pure urban fantasy for the reader to dwell in. The best book in the series, or the one I've read most times is The Grey King which takes place in Wales.

8. Valiant : A Modern Tale of Faerie
by Holly Black

This is actually a trilogy containing Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale, Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie and Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale, but I like the one above the best.
It is the wonderful blend between today and fantasy that form true urban fantasy. Fairies in the city? Who would have guessed? But it works, it works oh so well. The best is to read all three books, but this one can be read alone aswell.

9. Inkworld trilogy - series
by Cornelia Funke

Have you ever found yourself longing so much for the world inside a book that you almost cannot stand it? When that world is all you can think of and nothing else really seems to matter? Then you will understand this book, which is telling the story of that kind of enchantment.
(If you've never experienced this yourself, you may read it to understand us who has.)

10. The Chronicles of Prydain - series
by Lloyd Alexander 

1985 the first book The Black Cauldron became a Disney movie. It is an okay movie, but then again, Disney was better then. The books on the other hand - oh man - they are something special. Something I cannot describe, so I guess you will just have to read them.
I remember when I finished the last one for the first time. I went upstairs and threw myself in my mothers arms and cried, cried like I was completely out of it. I was. Concider yourself warned. But it is worth it, tears or no tears. Definitly.

11. The Darkangel Trilogy - series
by Meredith Ann Pierce

Ignore the last book in this trilogy, but read the two others. They have that kind of dark romance and beauty that you cannot find in books theese days. They feel like legends about horror in a distant land more than pure fantasy. They deserve to make this list, and it is their fault that this became a top 11 instead of a top 10 that was my intention from the start.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar